"Recycling" is bigger than a bin next to every desk. Recycling means respecting a sustainable and regenerative environment. In the workplace, it means turning off lights, recycling aluminum cans and making an effort to use only recyclable supplies around the office. Some companies have even replaced the plastic silverware in the break room with stainless steel utensils.
Tire swings included? Why not. It's all good.
McCormick Distilling Co., Inc.
At McCormick Distilling Co., Inc., being green is not a marketing gimmick, it’s a way of life. Based on the principles of reduce, reuse, recycle and rethink, McCormick created the world’s first sustainable vodka, 360 Vodka. Everything about this Missouri-owned and Missouri-made eco-friendly brand is sustainable, from the recycled glass bottle, to the paper used for the label, to the ink and reusable cap. The company's commitment to the smooth, premium liquid inside the bottle is just as impressive, featuring locally-grown grains distilled in the most energy efficient manner using a state-of-the-art production process.
With this outstanding commitment to the environment, McCormick Distilling Co. is happy to share some tips for incorporating an eco-friendly approach into everyday life.
By sourcing everything for 360 Vodka within its home state of Missouri, the company reduces fossil fuel consumption in transporting raw materials to the distillery.
Everyday tips for reducing:
• Bring your own shopping bags to the grocery store to reduce plastic bag waste
• Hang clothing to dry outside rather than using a dryer
• Install flow-reducing shower heads, faucets and other fixtures that reduce water consumption
The 360 Vodka bottle was entirely designed for reusability, thanks to the swing-top cap and bottle design. The company has seen consumers use it for water, olive oil, candies, and even wind chimes! Those consumers who don’t wish to reuse their bottles can send the swing-top caps back to the distillery, in a prepaid envelope, where the caps will be cleaned and reused for the next 360 Vodka bottle.
Everyday tips for reusing:
• Carry a reusable coffee mug or water bottle with you during the day, rather than using disposable paper or plastic containers
• Re-gift unused presents to avoid unnecessary waste
• Reuse all bottles and jars of various shapes and sizes to store items--just soak off the labels
360 Vodka has won numerous international awards and accolades for its recycling efforts. The 360 Vodka bottle is made from 50 percent recycled glass and uses recycled paper on the label. Every year, the company recycles nearly 200 tons of glass, paper and plastic materials, and manages the composting program for the largest cocktail festival in the United States, collecting more than 5,000 pounds of produce, which the company donates to a local farm.
Everyday tips for recycling:
• Buy products from environmentally responsible companies that use recycled materials
• Print documents on both sides of the paper and then recycle any unneeded pages
• Donate items to charity instead of putting them in the trash
“Sometimes all it takes to help the environment is re-thinking your usual habits," said McCormick Distilling Co.'s President, Mick Harris. "For us, going green is something we do every day.”
Everyday tips for rethinking:
• Plant a tree as a family activity or assist with a community clean up project
• Put trash in garbage receptacles rather than dropping refuse on the ground
• Buy flourescent lights for your house; they use 75% less energy than regular bulbs